1st November 1915 letter to Doris Smith: Trenches falling down and Bosch shelling systematically, praying waders will arrive

"Dearest one,

Quel temps! The trenches are all falling down and the Bosch are systematically shelling us which aids the general downfall. I have got the M Guns for a week, and for the minute I am out but shall go into the hollow. I have written and sent a cheque for the waders. I pray they come, my Goldings have collapsed completely under the wet work. We hear today that Romania is on the point of coming in against us, whom I presume will be shortly followed by Greece. Being with the M G section I am not with the Batln and I am rather glad it is a change. Tell Ashley I have been dining and lunch. with Parry who is in the same Coy [company] in the 11th Btln [Battalion] as Gilbey. The latter raves about Ashley and has apparently never forgotten your charming voice down the telephone. I told him I could understand his taste since you always sound as if you have double pneumonia, at least down the phone. Brotherly love! I am keeping extraordinarily fit inspite of the endless mushy wetwork. Much love, 

Cameron"                                 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cameron Forster Brown and his letters from the trenches

6th October 1915 letter to Ashley Smith requesting Waders and "They're over the top already!"

Saturday 26th August 1916