27th September 1915: "spending the afternoon writing to wives and mothers of my men who are dead"

 "Dearest One,

There is just a little doubt about Gardiner today, so don't go until I give you further details, please. He is wounded badly, but he may still be alive. The others including what is left of the Coy [Company] have gone in to have baths and have been spending the afternoon writing to wives and mothers of my men who are dead, which has been rather difficult, it is hard to know what to say. Bob has been recommended for a D.S.M or something which I am very glad of, he certainly deserves it. The most ridiculously young people will be made captains and Lts. Encouraging accounts from the south and from Russia seem to be coming in.  I don't feel very fit and it will be a little time until any of us get over last week-end I think. I hope they leave us in peace for a short time. I must stop. I will write you more next time. Much love,

Cameron"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cameron Forster Brown and his letters from the trenches

6th October 1915 letter to Ashley Smith requesting Waders and "They're over the top already!"

Saturday 26th August 1916